Ibs Eating Tips: Licorice Root Side Effects
Licorice plant (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is a legume, and its roots have a sweet flavor. The roots contain substances, like anethole and glycyrrhizic acid, that are responsible for the sweetness and other properties of this herb. Licorice was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians for therapeutic purposes. This herb was used for treating stomach disorders as well as respiratory problems. It was very widely used in Asia and Europe too. Today, licorice is used as flavoring agent and as a natural medicine. It is available as root extract, tablets, root tea, candies, etc. You may also come across tobacco products flavored with licorice. Nevertheless, usage of licorice in high doses, that too for a long term, may result in serious side effects.
Has Been Observed that Most of the Side Effects are Caused by High Dosages
Licorice roots should not be taken by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, cirrhosis, kidney problems, heart diseases, low blood potassium levels, estrogen-sensitive disorders, etc. Pregnant and nursing women and small kids ought to also avoid use of this herb. It is better to avoid licorice, if you are taking diuretics or heart medication. In case, you wish to use this herb for medicinal purposes, consult a qualified herbal practitioner and follow his instructions.
Crohn's Disease: Crohn's Disease is a Common Cause of Colitis
Crohn's disease is a condition which affects the whole of the digestive tract and this means that it can cause more varied symptoms and side effects. In some cases Crohn's disease can trigger serious problems as the immune system is malfunctioning and the body is no longer able to absorb nutrients to the same degree. Crohn's disease treatment is also more complicated. Corticosteroids may be used to reduce swelling, but can not be used for prolonged periods due to side effects. Likewise surgery is not a cure as of course the whole of the of the digestive tract can not possible be gotten rid of.
Here is a short list of the probable causes of this condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Irritable bowel syndrome is a typical gastrointestinal tract problem that is marked by abnormal gut contraction. The characteristic symptoms are pain in the abdomen, passage of mucus-coated stools, flatulence, abdominal cramping, and irregular bowel movements with alternating constipation and diarrhea.
Benefits. Bentonite clay, when put in a liquid colloidal-gel state, works great for diarrhea, viral infections, food allergies, spastic colitis, food poisoning, abdominal cramps, depression, nausea, anorexia, etc. When taken internally, it promotes detoxification of the intestinal tract canal by eliminating all the toxic substances and waste from your body. It is used to treat constipation, bloating and gas. It also promotes beneficial bacterial balance in the digestive system, and helps boost immune system by way of liver detoxification and colon cleanse. Several other industrial benefits of the clay add to its value.
- Treatment Consulting the doctor is the first thing to do if these symptoms are observed.
- The doctor will ask the patient to undertake blood and urine tests.
- Treating dehydration is the first step to be followed as diarrhea triggers dehydration.
- Therefore, the doctor will recommend the person to have electrolytic fluids and water.
- In case of severe diarrhea and dehydration, hospitalization, and IV fluids may be required.
- The further treatment entirely depends on the underlying cause.
Spastic colon is the another name of irritable bowel syndrome, which is a gastrointestinal disorder. The term spastic colon means an increase in the spontaneous contractions of the muscles of the large intestine, or their spasms. However, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can also trigger a reduction in the contractions of the large intestinal muscles. IBS is generally classified as a functional gastrointestinal disorder, as it is associated with how the intestine works, and not with any kind of damage to the intestinal tissues.
- Pain in left side of the rib cage might also be an indication of the presence of stomach ulcer.
- Depending on the severity of the condition, the discomfort may last longer or many subside in a few minutes.
Bentonite Clay Contains Only 17 Minerals
This low number is responsible for a greater potential to absorb other molecules. Therefore the absorptive abilities come from the low number of minerals present in it. When the toxin molecules get incorporated in the clay molecules, your body can expel the toxin-filled clay in normal bowel movements. Betntonite clay mask help you get a clean and glowing skin as it helps in the purification of cells under skin. It is commonly used in homemade facials.
Causes When talking about underlying causes, it has been observed that constipation, indigestion and diarrhea are the three most commonly knowledgeable conditions that cause stomach pain. Apart from these, the following are the other significant and possible causes to watch out for.
- Barrett's Esophagus: It is a complication of GERD.
- Individuals struggling with Barrett's Esophagus are at a high risk of struggling with esophageal cancer.
- Crohn's Disease: It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), characterized by inflammation in the lining of the intestinal tract.
- Genes and incorrect functioning of the immune system are believed to be the possible causes.
Milk of magnesia. Bisacodyl. Senokot. The long-term use of laxatives is however not recommended, as they can cause dependence, or loss of normal bowel function.
An Upset Stomach With Diarrhea and Vomiting are Signs of Food Poisoning or Viral Infection
If diarrhea occurs on a regular basis, or persists for a very long time, then it could be related to parasitic infection, irritable bowel syndrome, or spastic colon. When it gives a constant heartburn, it is possibly caused by acid reflux disease.
Bavolex Irritable Bowel Syndrome ReliefBavolex IBS Relief contains all natural herbs created to gently support and soothe the digestive tract. Bavolex consists of the highest quality botanical active ingredients that have been clinically developed to work synergistically for the best results. Bavolex's active ingredients have been used safely for many years to support healthy digestive tract, help reducing irritation from diarrhea and constipation. Reducing bowel inflammation and supporting healthy digestion has been shown to alleviate the flare-ups associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
More Details about This Product »
Consumption of Greens
A green bowel movement is usually the reaction to a particular constituent in the diet. Sounds strange, isn't it? However, it's true! Consuming large number of leafy greens such as lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc., may conduce to green bowel movements. The high chlorophyll content in the vegetables causes the greenish color. What goes in, comes out! So, how do you expect the bowel movement to not be green after consuming all those packages of leaves?
Donnatal Levsin Levbid Pro-Banthine (propantheline) Bentyl Antidepressant medications can also be prescribed, if the client experiences depression together with abdominal pain. These drugs can increase pain tolerance, and treat depression and anxiety experienced by the patients of spastic colon. Two other medications that are specifically used for IBS treatment are, alosetron and lubiprostone. Alosetron is a nerve receptor antagonist that can relax the colon, and slow down the movement of waste through it.
Recently, People Have Started Using the Green Part of the Leaves Also
The outer part of the aloe leaves are crushed, and made into aloe vera juice, or dried and used as a laxative. Aloe vera juice in itself has quite a number of health benefits, which includes relief from digestive problems, constipation, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome. It is believed to be beneficial in regulating the blood pressure and sugar levels. Aloe vera juice is said to be a potent drink that is useful for strengthening the immune system. Sadly, while raving about the benefits of this fantastic beverage, the adverse effects of this drink have remained unnoticed.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or also knows as spastic colon, is a digestive order which in fact affects millions of people and it typically affects young female adults. This may become embarrassing in times where you need to concentrate in very important matters such as in your office. If you were to provide a report in front of the entire company staff and IBS strikes you at that very moment, it would be very embarrassing to excuse yourself in the middle of your report, you yourself interrupting the whole thing.
- Treatment: Proper high-fiber diet in addition to use of laxatives is recommended for treating this syndrome.
- Stomach Ulcers
Causes and Symptoms of IBS
Causes Despite all the research carried out, the reasons for IBS or spastic colon are not well-understood. Researchers are of the opinion that a range of factors can trigger this condition. In IBS, the contractions of the digestive tract muscles can be much stronger, and they can last longer than usual, which in turn can cause food to move through the intestine much faster. This can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea. The opposite can also occur, and food can remain in the intestine for a long time. As a result, the stool can end up being tough and difficult to pass.
- Other Causes: Some infections caused by protozoan parasites giardiasis and amoebiasis can be responsible for this condition.
- Some other underlying health problems like gallbladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, and poor nutrition are the other excessive diarrhea causes.
Despite the fact that you will discover restrictions for the IBS Diet Plan as folks who have problems with IBS have normally developed food tolerances, the application of this technique to manage an individual's warning signs are usually favorable. Food items which are to be included in the IBS Diet plan Strategy are generally modest, yet are really found to boost the individual's gastrointestinal motions in addition to ease quite a few signs of the problem.
- The medications that are specifically used for treating diarrhea are: Loperamide.
- Bile acid-binding representatives.
Dietary ModificationsPeople with spastic colon are often required to make some dietary changes to manage this condition. In general, it has been observed that the inclusion of more fiber-rich foods in the diet can help reduce the frequency of IBS attacks. Though the foods that activate IBS can be different for different individuals, patients of IBS are usually recommended to limit the consumption of those foods that can stimulate the intestine. Some such foods are:
- But alosetron can cause some serious issues, for which it was removed from the market soon after its approval.
- Presently, the FDA has permitted the use of this drug with certain restrictions.
- It can be prescribed by doctors enrolled in a special program.
- They can prescribe the drug for treating severe IBS in women.
- This drug is not approved for use by guys.
- Lubiprostone on the other hand, is usually recommended for men and women having IBS with constipation.
- It is a chloride channel activator that can increase fluid secretion in the small intestine.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) encompasses a group of health conditions, which causes pain and pain in the gastrointestinal tract.
- The most common symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, stomach pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea.
- It is estimated that one out of every five Americans struggles with the symptoms of this syndrome.
- Though IBS disturbs the normal day-to-day activities, it rarely causes long-term health complications.
The gastrointestinal disorders may contribute to trigger, or be the sole cause of resulting in severe pain in the flank region. Peptic ulcers, food poisoning, gastroenteritis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are some of the major culprits to affect the area. Primarily, it is when your digestive system suffers a chronic disorientation that neck and back pain, resulting in discomfort in the region, may occur. Queasiness, feeling lightheaded, regurgitation, and acid reflux are the accompanying symptoms.
- Celiac Disease: It is an autoimmune disorder, affecting the small intestine.
- People experience severe side effects on taking in gluten-containing foods.
- Laxative Use Excessive use of laxatives also results in green bowels.
- This is because the laxative causes the bowels motions to occur very quickly, thereby causing the bowel to end up with discolored wastes.
But there is more than one type of colitis, there is more than one type of colitis treatment and knowing the difference between them is important to help with diagnosis and treatment. Here we will take a look at the most common forms.
- Gluten Allergy You may also be allergic to gluten which is a protein found in wheat.
- The gluten causes damage to your intestines, thereby leading to constant diarrhea.
Healthy Eating Diet Tips : Diet Tips to Ease IBS Symptoms
When dealing with IBS, it's best to choose simple foods that your body doesn't have to work too hard to digest. Learn which foods to choose with the useful tips ...
- Costochondritis Costochondritis is a condition wherein the cartilages linking the ribs with the breast bone are infected and irritated.
- It is caused due to a viral infection, and it causes sharp gnawing pain under the left rib cage, more so while breathing deeply.
- The symptoms of costochondritis are often confused with that of a heart attack.
- Medical examination can help diagnose the situation.
- Treatment: Proper diet along with medication prescribed by a doctor will help in the condition.
- As soon as the sacs in the intestines are formed, they will stay for a lifetime.
- Changes in lifestyle is important to get relief.
Factors that are believed to play an important role in the development of this condition are, a problem in the brain-gut signal (which manages the functioning of the intestine), gastroenteritis, bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, sensitivity of the colon to certain food, stress, psychological problems, and changes in the levels of neurotransmitters that transmit nerve signals between the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Even hormonal imbalance has been believed to be related to IBS, as this condition is more common in women, and its symptoms often aggravate before or throughout menstruation.
The condition is ironic due to the fact that lactose deficiency makes digestion of lactose challenging. Lactose can be found in sugar, milk, and dairy products. People having this disorder will often experience diarrhea and bloating after eating dairy products or lactose containing foods.
Sacramento mothers of Middle Eastern and similar Mediterranean area descent have for generations cared for colic by feeding their children a type of probiotic called infantis (understood commercially in the USA as bifantis). Now, researches have shown how the probiotic works. It's familiar to most Middle Eastern moms to put a drop of Binfantis, which some mothers call 'infantis' on the tip of their pinky and touched the idea of the infant's tongue with the probiotic if their child has colic. And it seems to work to calm the colic and quiet the infant. However exactly what is in 'infantis' that actually silences colic in infants that would cry for hours with colic?
Severe Abdominal Pain and Cramps May Require Anticholinergic Drugs and Dicyclomine
Anticholinergics are antispasmodic medications, that help reduce the level of sensitivity of the colon to stress and certain specific foods. The common antispasmodic agents used for the treatment of IBS are:
Lastly, you need to keep in mind that most of the above mentioned causes can be effectively treated if timely treatment is undertaken. Therefore, you should not ignore any type of pain and symptoms. Take care!
Licorice roots are otherwise known as sweet wood, sweet root, black sugar, and liquorice. The most common use of licorice root is for dealing with respiratory problems, like bronchitis and asthma. It is also widely used as an expectorant, and is an active ingredient in cough syrups. It is found to be effective for alleviating the symptoms of allergic conditions, like hay fever and allergic rhinitis.