I Have Gerd And Ibs: Small Intestine Diseases
The small intestine, which is also called small bowel, is the section of the intestinal tract that is located between the stomach and the large intestine. The small intestine makes up duodenum, jejunum, and ileum. Though it is called little intestine, it is really the biggest part of the digestive tract. The length of the small intestine in adults is around 6 meters. Though the large intestine is about 1.5 meters long, it is called so due to its width. While the small intestine is around 2.5 to 3.5 cm wide, the size of the large intestine has to do with 10 cm. Small bowel performs vital functions involving digestion of food and absorption of essential nutrients from the food into the body. There are a number of diseases that can affect the function of the small bowel in an unfavorable way.
Causes: This condition can result from trauma to the intestine during a surgery. Perforation could also happen during procedures such as enema or colonoscopy. Swallowing a sharp object can also lead to an injury. Medical conditions that can make a person susceptible to this condition include appendicitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, roundworm problem, or cancer.
Medical problems associated with gastrointestinal tract can also lead to floating and foul-smelling stool. However, in this case, feces drifting is typically accompanied by staining of stools. Also the water content and the texture in these stools deviates from regular expectations. It is explained listed below:
Ulcerative Colitis: Ulcerative colitis is colitis in which the swelling is a result of autoimmune function where the body immune system has started assaulting the colon. This then triggers the look of numerous ulcers on the colon in addition to the broken function. In extreme cases treatment for ulcerative colitis is surgery (colectomy) but in immunotherapy can be utilized in order to prevent the immune system from switching on the colon.
As stress has been considered as one of the causes of IBS, a part of the treatment also consists of taking up measures which might help in managing stress. Parents should guarantee that their kids are getting enough sleep, in addition to enough time to be involved in video games and sports. They must also be aware if the kids are working excessive at school, and if they are in some way avoiding meals in any part of the day.
Crohn's disease is another kind of inflammatory bowel disease that is defined by the swelling of the intestinal system. The precise reason for Crohn's illness is unknown, but it is believed that the swelling could be an unusual response of the body immune system. Genetics and environmental factors could play a role in the advancement of this condition. Crohn's disease tends to run in households, and those who have a family history of this persistent inflammatory condition are most likely to get impacted. The common signs of this condition consist of consistent diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, cramps, loss of appetite, weight reduction, fatigue, rectal bleeding, etc. The clients might develop anal fissures (tear in the lining of the rectum) or fistula (a small channel that establishes in between the anal canal and the skin around the rectum).
Injury to the back or the vertebrae is one of the most common causes. It can be triggered due to strain in the muscles caused due to muscle pull or twist. Second of all, sprain triggered due to unexpected twisting or wrenching of the ligaments likewise results in abrupt lower pain in the back.
Foods for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Some think that they can only consume dull or dull food when experiencing IBS, however that is not real. Depending on the intensity of your irritable bowel syndrome, you may discover that only a few foods cause issues. In general, there are just a few foods that you need to prevent if you want to stop a flare-up. These foods often cause problems in multiple clients suffering from the condition.
- Stomach pain is caused due to minor conditions, it can be treated with pain killers or by taking rest.
- However, it is suggested not to take any medication without prescription.
People with IBS have sensitive bowels that simply can not tolerate alcohol usage. The irritation due to alcohol consumption can activate intestinal spasms and intensify this inflammatory condition of bowels. The preliminary mood enhancing sensation of drinking alcohol may be followed by days of debilitating abdominal pain and diarrhea. So, if you are complaining about IBS, alcohol can make it agonizingly painful.
Need a simple, non-invasive breath tests to find out whether you have fructose, lactose and sorbitol malabsorption and small intestine bacterial overgrowth? Take the test from Stream Diagnostics, Australia's leading provider of hydrogen/methane breath tests.
Medications In case the person is having green vegetables in moderate amounts and also is not struggling with intestinal problems then green poop may be because of intake of medicines like prescription antibiotics.
- Treatment: Complications can occur when the contents of the intestine spill over from the perforation into the abdomen.
- The treatment of this condition involves repairing the perforation through surgery.
Good or Bad?
Now we have finally reached the conclusive point of the uncertainty about flaxseed oil. Well, in spite of being mentioned as the wealthiest plant source of numerous nutrients, flaxseed and its oil has various side effects. Although abundant in fatty acids, they are not enough to provide you all the health and healing properties that you need. In reality, various clinical studies have proven in the past that most of the so-called benefits of flaxseed oil are absolutely nothing but a marketing extravaganza.
Order to increase up their sales and market value of their products, many producers have begun to draw in support for a few false health effects. It is true that this oil contains various essential nutrients, but their amount is not enough to provide significant health benefits! Hence, according to scientists, claims of flaxseed oil being effective against various kinds of cancer like prostate cancer, breast cancer, inflammation and various inflammatory diseases and various autoimmune illness, are not so true. In reality, experts claim that increased intake of this oil may rather get worse certain medical conditions like diabetes and digestion illness.
- Ovarian Cyst: Ovarian cyst could be yet another cause.
- This is caused when a cyst, which is a fluid filled sac, is formed in the left ovary of a lady.
Anyone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) will know that dealing with it is truly awful. You never ever understand when the next attack is going to strike. Some victims are always on the lookout for the closest toilet and prepare their day around not being too far away from a bathroom. Other people do not go there often sufficient. In any case, the discomfort can be awful.
- Diverticulitis Diverticulitis is a condition that develops when the diverticula or the sacs located inside the stomach get inflamed.
- Sharp stomach pain, fever, nausea, modifications in bowel practices, etc., are the signs of diverticulitis.
Beside all these medical reasons, the pain may be due to injury or an abdominal muscle strain due to strenuous activity, like heavy workout or lifting up heavy objects. While conditions like gastritis or irritable bowel syndrome are not life-threatening, ectopic pregnancy or colon cancer certainly needs immediate medical attention. It is always a good idea to avoid self-diagnosis and get proper treatment done.
- Gas-producing Food There are certain foods, which are known for causing gas difficulty, which in turn lead to a bloated stomach.
- Foods, such as vegetables, beans, cabbage, etc. feature in this category.
- Soluble fiber supplements: These supplements are produced by pharmaceutical companies and are based on various ranges of fiber.
- Psyllium is one such type.
- It is a soluble plant fiber.
- Numerous popular fiber supplements such as Metamucil and Konsyl are based upon psyllium.
- It is understood to alleviate irregularity and is likewise a dietary fiber supplement for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
- Methylcellulose and guar gum are other examples of plant fiber, which form the basis of synthetic fiber supplements.
- A well-known synthetic fiber is calcium polycarbophil.
- The drugs called Fibercon and Equalactin are made with it.
Symptoms: Children affected by this condition are likely to experience severe abdominal pain, bloating, irregularity, nausea, vomiting and sudden weight reduction. In adults, the symptoms consist of joint pain, seizures, fatigue and anemia. Irregularities in menstruation might be experienced by women who suffer from celiac disease.
Sleepiness is the most commonly observed side effect of Xanax in dogs. So your pet if put on this antianxiety medication may become too sleepy. However, this extreme sleepiness can make your pet somewhat awkward. However, this sedative result in your animal may show that it has been administered in higher doses than recommended. Xanax, when given at a lower dose, can help relieve stress and anxiety without causing any sedation. So make sure that the drug is administered in the right dose. Other side effects that may occur include gastrointestinal upset, which may cause throwing up, gas, and diarrhea.
Small Intestine Cancer
Cancer is a major medical condition that is characterized by development of a growth due to abnormal and unrestrained cell division. Small bowel cancer is rare when compared with other cancers of the intestinal tract. There are five kinds of cancer that can affect the small bowel. These include adenocarcinoma, intestinal stromal tumor, lymphoma, sarcoma, and carcinoid tumors.
Doctors are still not able to trace the causes of this bowel condition. Researchers believe that a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract may lead to IBS. If the intestine is sensitive to certain foods, it can damage the colon giving rise to IBS. A weakened immune system vulnerable to viral infections may also lead to IBS.
Xanax can interact with certain drugs such as barbiturates, which may exacerbate its sedative properties. Also, antifungal agents like ketoconazole and itraconazole can slow down the metabolism of Xanax, making its sedative effect last longer. So, inform your doctor if your pet is put on any other medication.
Pancreas is a tube-shaped organ, located behind the stomach. Its head rests on the best side while its tail extends towards the left side of the body. Conditions like long term usage of alcohol and gallstones cause swelling of the pancreas. Such a condition is medically explained by the term pancreatitis.
- Symptoms: The symptoms of these conditions include abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
- Treatment: The treatment involves the use of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- In severe cases, surgery may be recommended.
- Causes As aforementioned, blood in stools is a warning sign of a disease, more specifically a gastrointestinal disorder.
- The most common causes of red or tarry stools include stomach ulcers and damage to the veins in the stomach throughout vomiting.
- Other causes are provided below:
- Constipation Constipation is a health condition where a person has a problem in having regular bowel movement.
- It can be persistent or acute, and can occur due to various factors.
- Stomach pain are bloating are the common symptoms of constipation.
How I Cured My IBS, Constipation, and Acid Reflux Naturally
Do you have digestion, reflux, or anxiety problems? Check out this video. Please watch all of it and really think about what I have to say.
Symptoms: A person who is suffering from this condition is likely to experience symptoms such as pain, a feeling of fullness, extreme gas, distended stomach, diarrhea, bloating, or stomach cramps.
- Green Bile As we all know, the liver produces a green colored digestive juice referred to as the bile.
- The production of bile is necessary to guarantee proper digestion of food.
- It is a known fact that stool development takes place in the big intestine.
- When the bile goes into the large intestine, it eventually turns yellowish brown then mixes with the stool.
- This is the reason why stool appears brown in color.
- However, if the bile and the stool formed move quickly out of the large intestinal tract, it is not likely that the bile will become yellow.
- So, with the bile color remaining the same (green), the waste matter also appears greenish-yellow throughout bowel movement.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test: This is one test that is used when blood in feces is not visible to the naked eye.
- In such a case, unusual color may not be seen, due to presence of small amount of blood in stool.
- This test is the most reliable way to confirm blood in feces.
- In order to identify the underlying cause, different blood tests are performed.
- This is a low-cost, non invasive treatment that offers information about the specific quantity of blood in stool sample.
- An easy method to carry out fecal occult blood test is given below:
Small Bowel Overgrowth Syndrome
Both the small and large intestine contain specific strains of bacteria. An individual is diagnosed with small bowel bacterial overgrowth when these bacteria are present in abnormally large numbers in the small intestine.
- Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be caused due to various factors.
- In most of the cases, it is caused due to an injury or a condition in any of the vital organs situated in the abdomen.
- Nevertheless, there can also be other underlying causes.
- The exact cause for this condition is still not known, but abnormal muscle contractions of the intestinal tract might be a reason.
- This kind of contraction could be either due to an irregularity of the brain (which manages muscle contraction) or the colon.
- The majority of the affected people experience either diarrhea or irregularity predominantly.
- In some patients, both conditions may alternate, due to the spastic action of the colon.
- Spastic colon causes consist of trigger factors, like certain foods, stress, other illnesses, like gastrointestinal infections.
- Eating foodstuffs that are not cooked appropriately or prepared in unsanitary conditions can cause food poisoning.
- Having contaminated food makes a person fall sick and the disease may give rise to green defecation.
- Diarrhea can be described as a condition where loose bowel movements occur due to some irregularity in the intestinal tracts.
- Many individuals incorrectly presume it to be a disease, however in fact it is a symptom that indicates an underlying health issue in the body.
- When the loose bowel movements happen numerous times in a day, then it is thought about as excessive diarrhea.
- It is often accompanied by bloating, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, loss of appetite, etc.
- When a large quantity of fluid is lost from the body, excessive diarrhea triggers dehydration.
- All these factors disrupt the rhythm of chyme motion from the stomach through the intestinal system to the anus.
- So, this triggers the contents of the colon to relocate an unusual method.
- The chyme might move too fast, or may not move at all.
- Nevertheless, the condition does not raise any major or major issues, and can be quickly managed.
Bacterial infections of the gastrointestinal tract, that triggers inflammation of the intestine can also trigger floating stools. For instance, people affected with irritable bowel syndrome, pass stools that have the tendency to float. Also, in this condition, too much of mucus is observed in the stools. Also, during bowel movement the person experiences abdominal cramps. Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's illness and ulcerative colitis that cause swelling and advancement of ulcers in the intestine can also lead to feces drifting. Besides, blood in the stools can also be identified and is followed by abdominal cramping. In this condition, the stool also appear black and tarry.
Simple diagnostic tests will ensure if an individual is struggling with a bacterial infection. A blood test, or urinalysis might be performed to comprehend the kind of infection and in order to prescribe proper treatment. If the requirement arises, your doctor may purchase for culture test of the tissue to further the line of treatment. Numerous bacterial infections that are moderate get treated on their own, but in severe cases, the healthcare provider will suggest prescription antibiotics to treat the condition.
Stools floating is perfectly normal, thanks to its high water content. Stools that float generally have brownish-yellow color. They are soft, but that does not mean they are watery. Most importantly, they are not hard, thus one does not experience any pain during defecation. Normal stools that float have a diameter of around 3-3.5 cm and they do not produce any foul odor. Likewise, the floating poop is not large in size and every bowel movement tosses 3-4 medium-sized stools.
Symptoms: The symptoms for this condition include groin pain, a feeling of pressure or heaviness in the groin, problem in passing stool, development of a lump in the groin, and intestinal obstruction. The strength of pain might increase when the affected specific bends, coughs, or laughs. Hernia that ends up being trapped in the groin area is called incarcerated hernia. Strangulated hernia is an issue of hernia. It occurs when the blood supply is cut off to incarcerated hernia. It needs immediate medical attention.
Another kind of inflammatory bowel disease associated with white fluffy mucus in stool is the ailment referred to as ulcerative colitis. This occurs when part of the digestive system is chronically irritated, and ulcers form on the lining of the colon. Bleeding may happen in these ulcers, accompanied by the production of pus or mucus, which may be eventually passed in the stool. Signs other than mucus, might consist of rectal bleeding, abdominal cramps, weight-loss, bloody diarrhea, fatigue, and dehydration.
Intestinal Parasitic Infections: Another quite common cause is amoebiasis. This is an infectious disease that affects the large intestine, and is mostly contracted when somebody eats or drinks contaminated food or water, containing Entamoeba histolytica, an intestinal parasite. In this disease, the amoeba attach themselves to the large intestine, and cause serious symptoms like bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea, and fever. In the initial phases there are mostly no symptoms, but if the person's resistance is low, or if the number of amoeba unexpectedly increase, then the symptoms end up being visible. This condition is contagious, as the stool that is passed consists of the parasites, hence, it can contaminate the water that it comes in contact with, and spread. Another example of an intestinal parasite is giardiasis, where the causative agent for the condition is a parasite called Giardia lamblia.
Eating too Fast and/or Overeating Due to a busy lifestyle, many a time, people do not have the time to eat in leisure. Eating too fast should be avoided as it can cause a bloated stomach. At times, we skip our meals, and when we do eat, we have the tendency to overeat. This burdens the digestive system causing a bloated feeling in the stomach.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common term used to explain a variety of stomach illness and conditions. The exact cause of IBS is unknowned, nevertheless, it is believed that sensitivity of the bowel muscles can result in this illness. Muscle cramps, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal and pelvic discomfort are the signs of IBS.
- Causes: Certain medical conditions can put a person at a greater risk of developing SBBO.
- These include selective IgA deficiency, motility conditions, diabetes, digestive tract obstruction, diverticulosis, and scleroderma.
- Salmonella: This pathogen can cause salmonella food poisoning.
- Salmonella infection, frequently is caused due to polluted poultry items, like raw eggs.
Sometimes, cysts are formed in the ovaries of females, much better referred to as ovarian cysts. Existence of cysts in the left ovary triggers moderate to extreme left side abdominal discomfort. Many-a-times, surgical treatment needs to be performed to eliminate the cysts from the ovary.
An obstruction in the intestines due to factors like volvulus, hernia, Crohn's disease or also due to any adhesion or injury can lead to bowel obstruction. Apart from pain in the abdominal area, muscle cramping and throwing up are the other signs.
- Excessive usage of green veggies may result in green defecation which is thought about as regular.
- Intake of some medications, supplements, or gastrointestinal disorder might result in green stools.
- Children in some cases consume chalks or wax colors.
- In that case, green stool may be seen.
- For the most parts, green stools indicate dysfunction of colon.
- Symptoms of constipation can be relieved with laxatives, having a high-fiber diet, hydration, etc.
- Medication and making changes in lifestyle and diet plan can help in treating diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome.