Effexor Spastic Colon: Natural Treatments for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) includes a group of health conditions, which causes pain and discomfort in the intestinal tract. The most common symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, stomach pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. It is estimated that one out of every five Americans suffers from the symptoms of this syndrome. Though IBS disturbs the regular day-to-day activities, it rarely causes long-term health complications.
You suffer from IBS then you will generally have to deal with abdominal pain and irregular bowel movements. You might have periods of constipation followed by diarrhoea. You may also have a lot of flatulence because of this problem. Medical professionals are not very certain about what causes IBS but they have noted a relationship between this issue and various food intolerances. These include lactose and gluten intolerance as well as fructose malabsorption. As a result, it makes a great deal of sense for you to change your diet dramatically so that you can reduce the occurrences of this issue and also bring down the severity of the symptoms.
- Barrett's Esophagus: It is a problem of GERD.
- People dealing with Barrett's Esophagus are at a high risk of suffering from esophageal cancer.
- Ways to repair IBS: Intake of probiotics is a much recommended treatment for IBS.
- Probiotics are the good bacteria that live in the intestinal linings and help in the improvement of the intestinal functions.
Pancreatitis: Pancreatitis, the swelling of the pancreas can also trigger abdominal cramps and bowel dysfunction that manifests in the form of watery bowel movement. As we all know, pancreas is a tongue shaped, glandular organ, around 15 cm long and depends on the abdominal region at the rear of the stomach. The pancreas is mainly associated with producing enzymes and digestive juice that allow the body to absorb and digest ingested food. It is observed that pancreatitis is often diagnosed in alcoholics and people affected with autoimmune disorders. No matter what the cause is, pancreatitis symptoms that happen are poor digestion, gas, nausea and loose stools.
Although stomach cramps might last for a few minutes, they can be quite hurting. Stomach cramps give an agonizing feeling due to involuntarily contraction of the stomach muscles. When these abnormal muscle contractions are followed by increased frequency in defecation (diarrhea), one can not take it lightly as these are the symptoms of an underlying digestive disorder.
- Indigestion A sudden onset of pain in lower left rib location can also be a sign of indigestion.
- A heavy lunch followed by excessive burping is a symptom of indigestion, which can cause rib pain.
- Overeating can also lead to belching gas buildup in the stomach and trigger left rib pain.
- Causes Lots of people experience stomach cramps and diarrhea in the morning.
- This is often the result of bad eating habits, too much alcohol or coffee consumption.
- Digestive disorders that cause these health concerns are given below:
When a person is sleeping, there may not be any activity of the intestinal tract, due to which, no sound may be heard. Hypoactive or absent bowel sounds during sleep are considered to be normal, and there is no need for individuals to feel that this may be an indication of an underlying disease or condition.
- Stomach Infections: Infections that target the digestive system can also trigger health problems such as stomach ulcers and gastroenteritis.
- Abdominal cramps along with diarrhea and throwing up are the common symptoms of a number of stomach ailments.
- People with stomach problems, often lose the desire to have food.
- Abdominal pain is often regarded as a precursor to stomach ulcers.
Hypoactive Bowel Sounds
A reduction in the intensity, volume, or consistency of the sounds indicates that the intestinal tract activity has slowed. Hypoactive sounds are heard relatively infrequently. These sounds symbolize many conditions including:
Cholecystitis: In cholecystitis, the gallbladder, a muscular organ located below the liver, appears irritated. The main task of the gallbladder is to collect bile (digestive juice) from the liver and pass it on to the stomach to promote digestion. Formation of gallstones in the gallbladder is the most common cause of cholecystitis. Cholecystitis patients typically complain about cramping pain in the right side stomach and suffer from unwanted changes in healthy bowel function such as diarrhea. As the condition progresses, it may affect the liver and cause jaundice.
Apart from these, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, pregnancy can be the prospective causes of pain in right side of pelvic girdle in women. On the other hand, piles, varicoceles, kidney disorders, etc. can cause pelvic pain on lower right side in men. If one observes throbbing or sharp pelvic discomfort for a long time, he/ she ought to consult the doctor immediately for appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
- Crohn's disease, where there is idiopathic swelling of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis also lead to an increase in bowel sound.
- When there is build-up of fluid in the abdominal region, it is called ascites.
- Due to the presence of this fluid, the abdominal sounds get muffled, therefore, seem to be hypoactive.
Kidney Stone/ Infection
Kidney stones are stones of calcium or uric acid, formed due to their excess deposition in the body. Sharp pain in the lower abdomen that takes a trip to the groin and to the back is the characteristic symptom of kidney stones.
- As the doctors are yet to know the exact factors for IBS, treating them with medications is also a difficult thing to do.
- So other than supplying the sufferer from probiotics, the only other thing possible is to give pain killers to fight the excruciating pain.
- Laxative Use Excessive use of laxatives also results in green bowels.
- This is since the laxative causes the bowels movements to happen very quickly, thereby causing the bowel to end up with discolored wastes.
- Colon Cancer: Consistent diarrhea followed by stomach cramps can also indicate colon cancer.
- Formation of malignant growth in the colon often triggers chronic diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- Until the cancerous tumor ends up being quite large, symptoms usually are mild, thus, go unnoticed.
- However, once the cancer spreads considerably rectal bleeding that may manifest in the form of bloody diarrhea, is often observed.
Lower left rib discomfort is often the result of sports injury, but can also occur due to an underlying medical problem. Lifting a little bucket of water, a short morning walk as well as deep breathing may cause lower rib pain, depending upon how severe the underlying cause is.
Although auscultating for sounds coming from the bowel can be an important indicator of an underlying digestive system illness, one needs to also do other tests to reach a final diagnosis. Various conditions like gastrointestinal bleeding, radiation to the abdominal area, paralytic ileus (nerve problem), blocked blood vessels, hernia, tumor, adhesions, indigestion, etc. can change the nature of bowel sounds. Once the underlying condition has actually been zeroed in, should a treatment plan be meted out.
Crohn's Disease: Crohn's Disease is a Common Cause of Colitis
Crohn's disease is a condition which affects the whole of the digestive tract and this means that it can cause more different symptoms and side effects. In some cases Crohn's disease can cause serious issues as the immune system is malfunctioning and the body is no longer able to absorb nutrients to the same degree. Crohn's disease treatment is also more complicated. Corticosteroids may be used to reduce swelling, but can not be used for prolonged periods due to negative effects. Likewise surgery is not a cure as of course the whole of the of the digestive tract can not possible be eliminated.
Factors for Excessive Flatulence
Gassy Foods People who have supper that is high on gassy foods are predisposed to stomach discomfort due to excessive gas information. As the name suggests, gassy foods are foods items that promote production of gas in the intestine. So, eating too much of gassy foods during nighttime can cause excessive belching. Soluble fiber foods as well as those high in fructose (a type of sugar) and complex carbohydrates are all considered as gassy foods that are responsible for excessive release of gas during digestion. Some of the common foods notorious for producing unwanted gas are given below: Indigestion.
Licorice roots are otherwise known as sweet wood, sweet root, black sugar, and liquorice. The most common use of licorice root is for treating respiratory problems, like bronchitis and asthma. It is also widely used as an expectorant, and is an active ingredient in cough syrups. It is found to be effective for eliminating the symptoms of allergic conditions, like hay fever and allergic rhinitis.
- Diarrhea In most cases, diarrhea removes within a few weeks time.
- However, some people seem to deal with diarrhea even in the long run.
- Having to run to the washroom right after meals, specifically high-fat meals is the common complaint.
- Because the liver has no place to store the bile, it keeps releasing bile into the small intestine.
- In some cases the small intestine gets overwhelmed by the amount of bile produced, and fails to reabsorb it.
- These bile salts then enter the large intestine and serve as laxatives, thus leading to diarrhea.
- Causes The pain in pelvic area can sometimes take a trip to the abdomen, back or to the thigh.
- Secondly, often, you may also experience the pain when the bladder is full.
- It is essential to identify the precise location and nature of the pain in order to get the underlying condition diagnosed properly.
- This condition is more common in women than in men as the uterus is located in that region in women.
Some cases, food allergy and gastroenteritis may also lead to hyperactive noises emanating from the bowel. Ingestion of milk by a person, who is lactose intolerant, and consumption of gluten by a person, who is diagnosed with celiac disease, can cause exaggerated bowel sounds.
Left Side Abdominal Pain The abdomen is an area of the body that houses the stomach, liver, appendix, and some other important organs. It has the ribs on the top and the pelvis at the bottom. Abdominal pain is a common occurrence, and practically every specific struggles...
The pelvis is a large structure present at the lower part of the abdomen. The pelvic or the hip girdle consists of bones that protect intestines, bladder and reproductive organs in human beings. In women, the pelvic girdle also protects the uterus. Irregularities and disorders of these organs or digestive organs can cause pain in the pelvic region. The pain may or may not be accompanied by other symptoms.
- Crohn's Disease: It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), characterized by inflammation in the lining of the digestive tract.
- Genetics and inappropriate functioning of the immune system are believed to be the possible causes.
Treatment: Antibiotics is the first line of treatment for stomach problems caused by H. pylori infection. Amoxicillin, metronidazole, clarithromycin are a few of the antibiotics that might be prescribed to destroy the H. pylori bacteria. Hydrochloric acid released by the cells lining the stomach wall during digestion can irritate the ulcers formed. So, in order to reduce secretion of stomach acid, short term usage of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec) and esomeprazole (Nexium) may be recommended.
Some cases, the cramping is restricted to a specific part of the stomach, indicating that an organ within the abdominal region is not working properly. This could be your gallbladder, pancreas or the intestines. Nevertheless, if the cramp like pain affects a major part of your stomach, it is often due to overeating and inactive lifestyle that leads to gas, indigestion and bloating.
- The long run.
- Although practically 60% people do not face any serious symptoms post surgical treatment, some are not so fortunate.
- They face various side effects after gallbladder removal, which are as follows.
Treatment: As the cause is not identified, treatment is aimed at easing the symptoms. So, the medications will be prescribed depending upon the signs that may occur. For instance, anti-diarrheal medications such as loperamide may be given to stop diarrhea. Dietary changes such as avoiding gas producing foods are also necessary to control IBS signs.
Maintaining good food hygiene, avoiding milk products and following food safety practices such as cooking it properly is the mainstay of the treatment for stomach cramps and diarrhea. Keep in mind, that a visit with the doctor is essential when these health issues do not go away or keep repeating at short intervals. Even an intestinal obstruction can cause stomach upset and discomfort. Therefore, diagnosing the cause and treating it at the earliest will work in favor of the patient and prevent further complications.
Crohn's Disease: When the digestive system gets inflamed, the condition is referred to as Crohn's disease. The repercussions of Crohn's disease include loose stools and stomach pain. Sometimes, inflammation is detected in a particular portion of the digestive tract that leads to moderate abdominal pain and diarrhea. Crohn's disease sometimes triggers formation of small sores (open injuries) on the outside wall of the intestine. If the condition is left neglected, the sores may spread to inner intestinal wall, which may reduce appetite, ultimately causing significant weight-loss. Inflammation of the tissue in the digestive tract is a cause for concern as ingestion of foods, especially difficult foods items such as toasts can injure the tissue and trigger profuse bleeding. As an outcome, blood in stools might be detected during bowel evacuation.
Crohn's Diary 1
This is my journey of how I was diagnosed with Crohn's. Hopefully this will help someone who may have something like Crohn's, I.B.S, or Ulcerated Colitis.
Increased Bacterial Population
Normally, the friendly bacteria that produce gas and aid in digestion live in the large intestine. However, when their population increases substantially, they may travel up to the little intestine and interact with food that is yet to be digested. As bacteria gets exposed to undigested food often in the small intestine, it can cause excessive belching anytime after having heavy meals.
Tightness in abdominal muscle could be due to a pulled or strained muscle in the stomach. This could result from an external injury or trauma caused to the stomach muscles by some exercise such as exercise or sports.
When there is any kind of obstruction to flow of food, in the form of intestinal obstruction or gastroparesis (damaged vagus nerve, stomach can not empty itself of food in a normal way), then it leads to hypoactive sounds of bowel.
- Treatment: People with broken ribs might recover within 5-6 weeks without any medical intervention.
- Although development of cracks in the ribs may not be a serious issue, it is painful.
- In such a scenario, one can take control of the counter painkillers such as acetaminophen to relieve discomfort.
- Also, take adequate rest and prevent any activity that puts strain on the damaged muscles.
- Application of ice pack can also help to reduce the pain and swelling connected with broken ribs.
Normal Bowel Sounds.
When assessing abdominal sounds, you have to take your stethoscope, and place it on all four quadrants. Usually, the bowel noises are heard very clearly in the lower right quadrant, which is where the ileo-cecal region is. Normal bowel sound is heard as high-pitched and slightly gurgling-like sound. These sounds are produced due to mixing of gas/air with fluid throughout peristaltic movement of the muscles. Many bowel sounds are normal and harmless. Needless to say, these sounds are loudest right before mealtimes (which is why our stomach 'growls' when we're hungry).
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
IBS triggered by diarrhea and dysentery make the intestine empty and very dry due to which it produces larger amounts of mucus to keep the colon well oiled. This mucus is then passed through stools, which is generally not a cause of worry as when the primary disease is treated, the excessive mucus productions stops.
- The spleen, stomach, lungs, pancreas and the liver are a few of the important organs secured by the ribs.
- Any medical problem that damages any of these organs can trigger rib discomfort.
What are the Gluten Intolerance Symptoms?
It is typically seen, that diagnosing the specific condition is often a problem. The condition may often be categorized either as irritable bowel syndrome or some other stomach condition. In case you have an allergic reaction to gluten, the protein will damage the walls of your intestines, which will result in restricting the absorption of foods, and lead to different symptoms, such as: Cramps. Headaches. Anxiety. Exhaustion. Aching joints. Ulcers in the mouth.
Pins and Needles and Tingling
Dental health problems. Weight loss or weight gain. Skin problems like eczema and dermatitis. Behavioral changes which includes irritability. Being susceptible to disease due to the immune system being affected. However, the most well-known and common signs of gluten intolerance are gastro-intestinal, such as: A few of the other signs are: anemia, due to poor absorption of iron as well as reduced absorption of Vitamin B12, fatigue and breathlessness. A few of the other conditions associated with gluten allergic reaction are irregular menstruation, infertility and miscarriage, as well as slow growth in infants and children.
- Appendicitis: Appendicitis triggers inflammation of the appendix, a small 4-inch tubular structure at the beginning of the large intestine.
- Cramps that cause sharp pain in the right side stomach is the most common symptom of appendicitis.
- Besides causing serious belly discomfort and fever, patients may also experience diarrhea or constipation.
- Treatment: Drinking lots of water and following a high fiber diet is a time-honored way to make sure smooth bowel movement.
- So, eating raw vegetables (salads) and fruits everyday complemented with adequate fluid intake can work wonders to keep constipation at bay.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Left stomach pain under ribs can also be the consequence of diseases like IBS. IBS is a condition that affects the normal functioning of the intestinal tract and causes diarrhea, constipation, gas and lower abdominal pain under chest.
Diverticulitis: Studies show that people who have actually crossed 60 years of age, tend to deal with diverticulosis, a condition in which sac like structures (pouches, also referred to as diverticula) form on the the inner wall of the large intestine (colon). In most cases, these multiple pouches occur in the lower left area of the colon. These pouches are harmless and typically do not interfere with normal bowel function. Hence, many do not even realize that they are having diverticula. However, when these pouches get swollen due to an infection, the condition is referred to as diverticulitis. This condition is characterized by cramps that usually occur in the left side abdominal region. Apart from cramping, diverticulitis also disturbs regular bowel habits, which might lead to bloody and watery stools.
- Medications: Intake of certain medications such as dexedrine, may also bring health problems such as watery stools and stomach cramps.
- These side effects are generally observed when drugs such as dexedrine are abused.
- Overuse of prescription medications is one of the most common causes of abdominal cramps and frequent defecation.
Gastrointestinal disorder: Eating contaminated food items often cause food poisoning, which many times is not serious but can cause diarrhea and is accompanied by stomach cramps.
If your body is intolerant to even a very small quantity of aluminum, you need to take oxy-powder instead of bentonite clay and psyllium husk. It is good to take bentonite clay with psyllium husk if you want to enjoy maximum benefits of the clay. As mentioned above, psyllium helps prevent the clay from getting stuck in your intestines and it promotes cleaning and detoxification. The clay should not be taken within two hours after taking medicines or supplements. There should be at least one hour gap in between bentonite shake and anything nutritional since bentonite (especially when taken with psyllium husk), will absorb the nutrients also (like friendly bacteria, vitamins) along with contaminants and bad germs.
General, the clay soaks up some nutrients so it is recommended to take some nutritional supplements routinely, when taking bentonite. It is suggested that aged people and pregnant women should not take this clay or products consisting of the clay. Bentonite clay in itself does not cause constipation. However, it may stick to the digestive tract and lead to a constipation-like feeling in case one's diet plan lacks fiber or if one's daily water intake is insufficient. In this case, it is suggested to combine psyllium husks with the clay and increase one's consumption of water.
Ectopic Pregnancy: an Ectopic Pregnancy is Diagnosed in the First 5
10 weeks of pregnancy. Sudden burning sensation in the stomach during pregnancy and lower abdominal pain are early ectopic pregnancy signs. The other symptoms experienced are abnormal vaginal bleeding, nausea, throwing up, and low blood pressure.