Bowel Irritable Syndrome Understanding: Licorice Root Side Effects
Licorice plant (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is a legume, and its roots have a sweet flavor. The roots contain compounds, like anethole and glycyrrhizic acid, that are responsible for the sweet taste and other properties of this herb. Licorice was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians for therapeutic purposes. This herb was used for treating stomach conditions as well as breathing problems. It was very widely used in Asia and Europe too. Today, licorice is used as flavoring representative and as an organic medicine. It is offered as root extract, tablets, root tea, candies, etc. You may also come across tobacco products flavored with licorice. Nevertheless, usage of licorice in high doses, that too for a long term, may result in serious side effects.
Causes When talking about underlying causes, it has been observed that constipation, indigestion and diarrhea are the three most commonly skilled conditions that cause stomach pain. Apart from these, the following are the other significant and possible causes to watch out for.
For more information on probiotics diarrhea, constipation, and IBS, rely on David Nash. He writes short articles on the very best probiotic evaluations, natural solutions, and explores lactobacillus acidophilus to assist customers stay informed.
- Flatulence can become a cause of social embarrassment when there is increased passage of foul-smelling gas.
- The bad smell is attributed to the presence of skatole, indole, and sulfur compounds.
- Some people might even lose voluntary control over the passage of flatus.
Dos and Do N'ts
The treatment of flatulence usually involves the use of antacids, digestive enzymes, simethicone, bismuth subsalicylate, activated charcoal supplements, etc. Following certain steps will certainly show beneficial.
- First: Fiber that is incompletely or slowly digested promotes normal bowl function and treats constipation.
- This type of fiber also helps prevent diverticulosis and diverticulitis.
- It offers relief from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) which is also on the rise.
- Second: Fiber-rich foods are processed more slowly by the body.
- This is a great benefit if you're trying to lose weight!
- When foods process more slowly, you feel 'pleased' or 'full' much faster than normal.
- This makes it easy to eat less at mealtime.
Mucus is nothing but a white or yellow fluid which helps in lubricating the air passage and gastrointestinal tract. Besides lubrication, this fluid safeguards the surface of the digestive, respiratory, and excretory system versus destructive representatives like stomach acids. During pregnancy, a female's body goes through various changes; out of which mucus in her stool is common. It is not an unusual occurrence, and usually disappears within a couple of days.
- Diagnosis There is no clear test to determine if you are suffering from this condition.
- However, your GP will search for signs of typical IBS signs and also ask you to go through a physical examination.
Diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome *
For some people, a strict diet can be a solution for irritable bowel syndrome. * There are certain foods that contain probiotics that can offer the support that your body needs. * Furthermore, there are some foods that your body just might not agree with as a result of IBS. Therefore, changing your diet to assist with irritable bowel syndrome can be an option for people who want natural relief. * There are OTC items that you can take to relieve symptoms, but you have to bear in mind that these don't provide relief from the cause of the issue at all. *.
Diseases of the Digestive System
Acid reflux illness (GERD), hiatal hernia, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), etc., are some of the most typical illness of the gastrointestinal system. The popular disease-causing parasites in human are Campylobacter, Salmonella and Helicobacter. The following is a list of gastrointestinal system illness.
Conditions that May Cause White Mucus in Stool
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). This condition affects the large intestine. Apart from the presence of mucus in stool, other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome include stomach pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea and bloating.
Small Intestine Infections
Infection in the small intestine is mainly caused by bacteria or infection. Usually, it happens due to consumption of contaminated food and drinks. If infected by infection, it is called viral gastroenteritis. Sometimes, infectious organisms may be sent from other internal parts of the body. Digestive tract infection signs are loss of appetite, stomach cramps, constipation, and diarrhea.
- Pain in left side of the rib cage might also be a sign of the existence of stomach ulcer.
- Depending on the severity of the condition, the discomfort may last longer or numerous diminish in a couple of minutes.
- Treatment: Proper high-fiber diet together with use of laxatives is recommended for treating this syndrome.
- Stomach Ulcers
Excessive buildup of gas in the digestive tract is often observed in people who follow a diet that is rich in complex carbohydrates or insoluble dietary fiber. The major reason behind flatulence is bacterial fermentation of specific complex sugars such as raffinose, starches, stachyose, sorbitol, etc., in the colon. Extreme gas could also be attributed to aerophagia (swallowing excess air), which in turn may be attributed to eating food hastily, especially without chewing it correctly. Prolonged use of antibiotics, misuse of laxatives, and intolerance to gluten, lactose, or man-made food additives could also be the reason behind excessive gas.
During IBS, Person May Switch in Between Diarrhea and Constipation
People with diarrhea face frequent, watery, loose stool which are hard to control. They will have an urgent need to have a bowel movement. Whereas, people with constipation might find hard to pass stool or usually have few defecation. They often feel the need to pass stool. People with constipation may feel the cramps with bowel movement. For some people symptoms might get worse opponent couple of days or weeks and then slowly decrease whereas in some symptoms are present the majority of the time. There are chances the person dealing with IBS lose his/her appetite.
- Large Intestine It is the most affordable part of the gastrointestinal system.
- Its functions are soaking up water and passing the waste product from the body.
- It begins at the cecum and ends at the anus.
Apart from these, food allergy or intolerance, flatulence, celiac disease, diverticulitis, Crohn's disease, kidney stone, gallstones, ectopic pregnancy, menstrual cramps, etc., are some of the other potential causes that can not be ignored. Determining the underlying cause is essential; and thus, the first thing you need to do is to speak with the doctor immediately.
Soluble fiber stimulates bowel movements and prevents constipation to a great extent. It is also known to regulate blood pressure. It also lessens the chances of the occurrence of heart diseases, as it lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood. It also reduces the risk of many types of cancer. Insoluble fiber, specifically, prevents and treats irregularity. It is also known to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Right flank pain during pregnancy can be caused due to an ectopic pregnancy. This is one common reason for flank pain episodes in women, and it can be easily diagnosed with a pelvic ultrasound. Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue-- similar to the lining of the uterus-- is found in the pelvic cavity. The most common symptom of endometriosis is pelvic and flank pain. Ovarian cysts, in some cases are accountable for flank pain in ladies.
Has Been Observed that Most of the Side Effects are Caused by High Doses
Licorice roots should not be taken by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, cirrhosis, kidney problems, heart diseases, low blood potassium levels, estrogen-sensitive disorders, etc. Pregnant and nursing women and little kids ought to also avoid use of this herb. It is much better to prevent licorice, if you are taking diuretics or heart medication. In case, you want to use this herb for medical purposes, speak with a qualified herbal practitioner and follow his instructions.
- Treatment: Proper diet along with medication prescribed by a doctor will help in the condition.
- When the sacs in the intestinal tracts are formed, they will stay for a lifetime.
- Changes in way of life is important to get relief.
- Treatment Consulting the doctor is the first thing to do if these symptoms are observed.
- The doctor will ask the patient to undertake blood and urine tests.
- Treating dehydration is the first step to be followed as diarrhea causes dehydration.
- For that reason, the doctor will recommend the person to have electrolytic fluids and water.
- In case of severe diarrhea and dehydration, hospitalization, and IV fluids may be needed.
- The more treatment completely depends on the underlying cause.
- Colonic massage is another very efficient method to get rid of IBS.
- It works marvels in case of baby and kids as it eliminates colic pains and assists them to pass gas and stool easily.
Hard bowel movements are normally a result of a condition called irregularity. The majority of you might recognize with this term and it's symptoms. In this condition, the stool ends up being tough, lumpy and dry. When the stool remains in the gastrointestinal system for more than 48 hours, the fluid it includes is reabsorbed by the body. This triggers it to end up being hard, dry and difficult to pass from the body. Constipation tends to become chronic if not dealt within time, where in very severe cases, it may trigger pain and bleeding while passing stool. Most of the times, all it takes are a couple of home remedies to treat this problem. Nevertheless, in more major cases, it is very important to go to a medical professional and understand the source of the problem. Here, we have a look at the causes, effects and treatment for this problem.
Secondly, symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome can be treated by medications. Nevertheless, there is no permanent remedy to it. You have to make dietary changes to get relief from it. Menstrual cramps can be dealt with by taking pain medication and a lot of rest. Pelvic inflammatory disease in women can be treated with the help of antibiotics. In some cases, if PID is detected during pregnancy, the woman may require hospitalization. Physical therapy can also help in dealing with pelvic pain.
- Symptoms: Serious discomfort is specifically experienced on the best side of the abdominal area as the appendix lies there.
- Other signs like fever, vomiting, anorexia nervosa, queasiness, diarrhea, etc., are also observed.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Finding out the exact cause behind this problem is a challenging task. This is since the characteristics of different kinds of digestive tract discomfort are very similar to each other. Even the accompanying signs can not be distinguished quickly from one another. At first, the doctor attempts to identify the trigger by physical examination of the abdomen and studying the nature of the pain. Then different laboratory tests, such as, radiological tests, endoscopy, etc. are done to validate their findings.
Apart from recommending the usual medications required for pain relief, doctors treat the underlying infection or any other disease, responsible for the pain. Foods high in fiber ought to be included in the meals in order to enhance the bowel movements. Drinking of lots of water and other liquids are likewise recommended. There are some restrictions regarding the food to be eaten by the patient. One should keep away from fatty foods, spicy foods, citrus fruits, caffeine, alcohol, carbonated beverages, etc.
What is irritable bowel syndrome? IBS explained.
Irritable bowel syndrome, understanding it before you treat it or cure it. 3D medical animation describing normal digestion, IBS, the brain gut connection and the ...
Diet & Cures
It's obvious Irritable Bowel Syndrome isn't a pleasant experience to withstand. The good news is there are numerous ways to manage symptoms and "flare" to make it a very workable condition. Noted below are some good guidelines to follow and make your life as IBS-free as possible:
Small Intestine It is the longest part of the alimentary canal which assists in the digestion of food and the absorption of nutrients.
Hydrolyzed Guar Gum
It is a water-soluble and non-gelling fiber. This fiber helps in reducing diarrhea and constipation. It also helps in reducing abdominal pain. Bacteria such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, that are useful for our body, are also increased by it.
Infection A urinary tract infection is one of the main mucus in urine causes. The mucus mainly comes from the WBC (White Blood Cells) which go into the urine to prevent the infection from spreading. If you are experiencing cloudy urine due to an infection, then you will also experience other signs like abdominal pain, painful sensation while urination, fever, nausea, and flank discomfort. If you experience mucus in urine on a regular basis, it's much better to get yourself looked for an infection.
- Gas that is present in the stomach usually passes through the mouth when we burp, while the digestive tract gas is released through the rectum.
- Distressing symptoms such as pain or bloating might happen when gas stays trapped in the digestive tract.
Having a habit of exercising is always good. There are a lot of good things that features staying fit or doing things to have a healthy lifestyle. One of its effects is avoiding IBS. There are sites on the Internet that might tell you the same thing such as ibstreatment.com. The majority of illness or disorders can be avoided and being in the know of these things is quite effective.