Medical Condition Spastic Colon: Spastic Colon Treatment
Spastic colon is the another name of irritable bowel syndrome, which is a gastrointestinal disorder. The term spastic colon means an increase in the spontaneous contractions of the muscles of the large intestine, or their spasms. However, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can also cause a decline in the contractions of the large intestinal muscles. IBS is generally categorized as a functional gastrointestinal disorder, as it is related to how the intestine works, and not with any kind of damage to the intestinal tissues.
Severe Abdominal Pain and Cramps May Require Anticholinergic Drugs and Dicyclomine
Anticholinergics are antispasmodic medications, that help reduce the sensitivity of the colon to stress and particular specific foods. The common antispasmodic agents used for the treatment of IBS are:
Sacramento mothers of Middle Eastern and similar Mediterranean area descent have for generations looked after colic by feeding their children a sort of probiotic called infantis (understood commercially in the U.S.A as bifantis). Now, researches have shown how the probiotic works. It's familiar to the majority of Middle Eastern mothers to put a drop of Binfantis, which some mothers call 'infantis' on the guideline of their pinky and touched the idea of the infant's tongue with the probiotic if their child has colic. And it seems to work to calm the colic and quiet the infant. However what is in 'infantis' that actually quiets colic in children that would cry for hours with colic?
- Cholestasis: It occurs due to improper bile formation or bile flow.
- Causes include alcoholic liver illness, pancreatitis, cancer of pancreas, hepatitis, etc
So, we see that pain under the left rib cage can be caused due to various reasons, from stomach problems to inflammation of cartilage or other severe medical conditions. Depending on the cause, the treatment will vary. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you need to consult a doctor immediately. A prompt diagnosis will help you to exact the cause, get effective treatment and avoid future complications.
- Lemon Soda If you are going to have a large meal with a lot of fried, processed foods, you can sip lemon soda throughout your meal.
- Lemon soda avoids the development of gas and thus, eliminates you of bloated stomach after eating.
- However, make it a point to sip on small parts of soda instead of gulping it down at once.
- Aloe vera has certain antibiotic properties that help to clean the impurities, and also relieve the digestive lining.
- It eliminates all the wastes, dead skin, and other impurities accountable for constipation.
- The polysaccharides present in aloe, withstand the growth of bacteria on the wall of the intestines.
- It is also very rich in fiber content.
- These fibers are capable of detoxifying the colon by flushing out the toxic materials.
- Besides, the vitamins and minerals present in the plant, eliminate the sticky compounds clinging to the walls of the intestines.
- Abdominal cavity consists of various organs such as spleen, liver, kidneys, aorta, intestines, appendix etc.
- Abdominal pain can originate as an outcome of irregular functioning of any of these organs.
- Nevertheless, there aren't many organs in the left lower quadrant of the abdominal cavity.
- For that reason, pain on lower left side of the abdomen is pretty rare after eating.
- There are some conditions that are known to induce this kind of pain after eating, which are as follows:
Constipation Constipation is a condition that causes hardening of stools, due to which bowel movement becomes a painful activity. In such circumstances, to press the stools, through the colon requires more effort. Thus eliminating tough stools can put undue strain on any part of the rib cage. It is observed that individuals struggling with constipation have to apply a lot of pressure to eliminate fecal matter and this might cause discomfort on the left or right side of the ribs.
Here is a short list of the probable causes of this condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Irritable bowel syndrome is a common gastrointestinal tract issue that is marked by abnormal gut contraction. The characteristic symptoms are discomfort in the abdomen, passage of mucus-coated stools, flatulence, stomach cramping, and irregular bowel movements with alternating constipation and diarrhea.
Lastly, you should bear in mind that the majority of the above mentioned causes can be effectively treated if prompt treatment is undertaken. Therefore, you should not ignore any kind of pain and symptoms. Take care!
Reasons for Pain Under the Left Rib
Injured/cracked or Fractured Rib Cracked or fractured rib caused by accidents or severe blow/impact in that area, is one of the major reasons for pain under the left rib cage. It causes excruciating pain that exacerbates with deep breathing. Such a serious injury requires immediate medical intervention. If you are experiencing such pain, it is always wise to get an x-ray done to determine the state.
- Gastric Cancer (Stomach cancer): As the name suggests, it occurs when malignant cells grow in the stomach.
- It is difficult to identify at an early stage as its symptoms are similar to other digestive system illness.
Lactose intolerance is a condition, in which, body is incapable of producing an enzyme called lactase, which is required for the breaking down of lactose. Lactose is a milk sugar, found in all dairy products. When you experience abdominal pain after eating dairy products, then most likely it is due to lactose intolerance.
- Treatment: This condition can be treated by medications like Lansoprazole, Esomeprazole or Dexlansoprazole.
- It is also wise to avoid food that causes heartburn or heartburn.
- Treatment: Antibiotics prescribed by a physician can heal the ulcer and help to get relieved of the symptoms.
- Constipation and Indigestion
Donnatal Levsin Levbid Pro-Banthine (propantheline) Bentyl Antidepressant medications can also be prescribed, if the patient experiences depression in addition to stomach pain. These drugs can increase pain tolerance, and treat depression and stress and anxiety experienced by the patients of spastic colon. Two other medications that are specifically used for IBS treatment are, alosetron and lubiprostone. Alosetron is a nerve receptor antagonist that can relax the colon, and slow down the movement of waste through it.
Produces and Excretes Bile Juice Which Helps in Breaking Down Fat
Bile plays an important role in the digestion of fats. When the liver is damaged and is unable to filter excessive bile from the blood, serious problems may take place. The presence of excess bile in the blood might cause the skin, eyes and nails to look pale. This condition is known as jaundice. It is an indication of liver damage or failure. There may be a number of other signs of liver failure, which we will go over in the following paragraphs.
Heartburn or Acid Reflux
Another common but less severe cause of pain under the left rib cage is heartburn or acid reflux. It is often caused when you consume excessive acidic food or drinks. It often gives a bloated sensation and a sharp pain that feels like chest pains.
- This is not an exhaustive list).
- Appendicitis: It is the inflammation of the appendix.
- It is a serious condition, which requires immediate surgical removal of the appendix.
- Liver Cirrhosis: It is caused when healthy tissues of the liver are replaced by scar tissues.
- Scarring is a gradual non-reversible condition.
- The term 'poop' refers to the solid waste matter that is eliminated out of the body during bowel evacuation.
- Usually, a healthy bowel movement produces brown colored stools.
- A change in stool color to green indicates that something is wrong with the intestines but can also mean excessive intake of certain foodstuffs.
- It is discussed below:
- Inguinal Hernia: It occurs when a part of the abdominal cavity protrudes through the inguinal canal.
- It causes a bulge in the area which can be painful.
- Tea A piping hot cup of tea gives you an instant relief from all the stomach ailments.
- Herbal tea and green tea are also effective in curing gastrointestinal problems.
Benefits. Bentonite clay, when put in a liquid colloidal-gel state, works great for diarrhea, viral infections, food allergies, spastic colitis, food poisoning, abdominal cramps, depression, nausea, anorexia, etc. When taken internally, it promotes detoxification of the intestinal canal by getting rid of all the contaminants and waste from your body. It is used to treat constipation, bloating and gas. It also promotes beneficial bacterial balance in the digestive system, and helps increase immune system by way of liver detoxification and colon clean. Several other commercial benefits of the clay add to its value.
Milk of magnesia. Bisacodyl. Senokot. The long-term use of laxatives is however not recommended, as they can cause dependence, or loss of normal bowel function.
An upset stomach with diarrhea and vomiting are signs of food poisoning or viral infection. If diarrhea occurs quite often, or continues for a long period of time, then it could be related to parasitic infection, irritable bowel syndrome, or spastic colon. When it gives a constant heartburn, it is possibly brought on by acid reflux disease.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): It is characterized by a wide variety of symptoms like stomach pain, abdominal cramps, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, etc
- Indigestion: Also known as dyspepsia, it is a condition caused due to difficulty in absorbing food.
- It is a sign of several other diseases.
- Treatment: Proper diet and avoiding food that causes indigestion and constipation would help in eliminating the discomfort.
- High fiber diet is recommended if you are suffering from constipation.
- Alcoholic Liver Disease: As the name suggests, it is caused due to excess consumption of alcohol.
- The different types of alcoholic liver disease are alcoholic cirrhosis, alcoholic fatty liver disease, and alcoholic hepatitis.
Abdominal Pain can be Considered as One of the Most Common Physical Discomforts
Almost everybody of you need to have experienced it at some point of time during your life. From babies to older people, everyone goes through periodic bouts of stomach pain. There are several causes why abdominal pain originates in the first place. It is primarily aggravated after eating. However, lower left abdominal pain after eating is quite unusual.
Constipation is Characterized by Hardening of Stools
As a result, more pressure and effort needs to be put in, to pass stools. It leads to annoying pain in the stomach, more so under the rib cage. Indigestion is also another common reason for the pain. A pain that starts unexpectedly can be linked to indigestion. It is typically preceded by constant burping.
Recently, People Have Started Using the Green Portion of the Leaves Too
The outer part of the aloe leaves are crushed, and made into aloe vera juice, or dried and used as a laxative. Aloe vera juice in itself has quite a number of health benefits, which includes relief from digestive problems, irregularity, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome. It is believed to be beneficial in regulating the high blood pressure and sugar levels. Aloe vera juice is said to be a potent drink that is useful for strengthening the immune system. Regrettably, while raving about the benefits of this amazing drink, the negative effects of this drink have remained unnoticed.
- Hiatal Hernia: It occurs when a part of stomach protrudes upwards through the diaphragm.
- It is commonly observed in older people.
Factors that are believed to play an important role in the development of this condition are, a problem in the brain-gut signal (which controls the performance of the intestinal tract), gastroenteritis, bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, sensitivity of the colon to certain food, stress, psychological problems, and changes in the levels of neurotransmitters that send nerve signals between the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) system. Even hormonal imbalance has been suspected to be connected with IBS, as this condition is more widespread in women, and its symptoms often aggravate before or throughout menstruation.
Treatment: Taking Antacids and Other Drugs to Reduce Stomach Acid can be of Help
Avoiding hot and spicy food is a must. Diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is characterized by small, bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) that become infected. It generally affects elderly people, about the age of 60. People dealing with it experience bloating, constipation and pain under the lower chest.
Pneumothorax Pneumothorax is a condition where the lung ruptures due to a tear in the lung membrane, and air leaks out and fills the cavity between the lungs and the rib cage.
- Meckel's Diverticulum: This is a congenital abnormality.
- It is a small bulge at the lower portion of the small intestine.
- It can lead to symptoms like stomach pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, etc
Kidney stones can originate in either of the kidneys and cause pain in them. Discomfort in the left one symbolizes stone in the left kidney. The pain typically starts from the back and spreads to the front.
- Hemorrhoids: It is a condition characterized by swollen veins in the anal region.
- Piles or stacks can be internal or external, and can be painful.
- Highly processed foods are rich in sodium and low in fiber.
- Not good, for they contribute to the bloated feeling.
- Check out the labels, and drop only those canned foods in your cart that clearly checked out "sodium-free," or "low-sodium content."
Spastic Colon Health Byte
Spastic Colon is commonly known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) which is a problem people have when there are intestinal motility problems. Learn more ...
- Treatment: Avoiding food that causes indigestion is suggested.
- You can also try leaning on the back of a chair to get rid of the trapped gases.
- Antacid tablets, in addition to dietary changes, will help in the condition.
- Mild stomach problems normally do not need medical intervention and can be cured with little changes in your diet and way of life.
- In addition to a healthy diet, it is essential to invest a long time for exercises.
- In spite of this, if the problem persists, you may have to look for a proper medical treatment.
- Gas in the Colon Also known as the splenic flexure syndrome, it is another cause of discomfort under the left rib cage.
- Extreme gas gets trapped in the colon and it causes pain and discomfort.
- Spleen Irritation Sometimes, pain under the left rib cage might be caused due to tear or burst of the spleen.
- Pain in the extreme ends of the shoulders may also be a sign of spleen rupture.
- Treatment: If diagnosed with a serious cracked or broken rib, it is advisable to seek advice from a doctor right away and get a surgery scheduled.
- You need to also get a CT or MRI scan done to rule out any nerve damage.
- If the crack is minor, it usually heals on its own in a month or two.
- You can use pain killers to relieve the pain.
- In any case, it is necessary to consult your doctor first.
Treatment: this Condition Needs Immediate Medical Intervention
Usually, surgery is the only option. Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome is a common cause of pain under the left rib cage. It is caused by overeating or absence of fiber-rich foods, and enough water in the diet. In this condition, the digestive organs are affected as they are not able to secrete digestive enzymes that assist in the breaking down of food into simple compounds. It disrupts the normal bowel movement by causing constipation or diarrhea. Other symptoms of this condition are bloating and cramps in the intestinal tract.
The rib cage, also known as the thoracic cage, is one of the core and most fragile parts of the human skeletal system. 24 bony structures called ribs, costal cartilages, 12 thoracic vertebrae and the breast bone, all are parts that comprise the chest. A part of the human respiratory system, this bony and cartilaginous structure surrounds the thoracic cavity, which contains the lungs. It is an important part of the human body and any pain in this region can be of serious concern, as it may indicate some serious medical condition or injury.
- Jaundice: It is caused due to excessive building up of bilirubin in blood.
- It is easily identified as the skin turns visibly yellowish.
- Liver Abscesses: It is formation of pus in the liver.
- It can be a potentially lethal condition.
- This implies that either the nerves or the muscles involved in the intestinal activities do not operate in ways they should.
- The nerves though go beyond those that are found in the digestive system.
- The spinal chord and the brain themselves are also involved.
Because of these finding scientists believe they may be a link here to colon cancer prevention. As well, prebiotics might help alleviate symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, help control weight, lower cholesterol, balance blood sugar, and speed up waste transit time.
Dietary ModificationsPeople with spastic colon are often required to make some dietary changes to manage this condition. In general, it has been observed that the inclusion of more fiber-rich foods in the diet can help reduce the frequency of IBS attacks. Though the foods that trigger IBS can be different for different people, patients of IBS are usually encouraged to limit the consumption of those foods that can stimulate the intestine. Some such foods are:
There are Certain Parasite Such as Protozoa Which Often Leads to Diarrhoea
There is generally a loss of sodium and chloride loss which results in diarrhoea. The diarrhea leads to infection in the body. Some parasites also have the tendency to thrive in the upper small intestine which also leads to gas and bloating. The issue ends up being more acute when things which are difficult o digest are being taken. This kind of acute gastrointestinal problems can sometime occur for numerous months.
- The medications that are specifically used for treating diarrhea are: Loperamide.
- Bile acid-binding agents.
Liver Cancer: It is cancer that originates in the liver or spreads from other parts to the liver. It is also known as hepatic cancer. Liver Failure: Liver failure, or hepatic failure, is the damage of liver caused due to hepatitis, cirrhosis, use of certain drugs and medication, etc. It can be acute or chronic.
- Cystic Fibrosis: It is a genetic disorder, affecting the digestive system and lungs.
- When suffering from this disease, the mucus becomes thick and can block airways, tubes, and ducts.
To be Assured of Its Symptoms, It Occurs in a Different Way With the Various Personas
It depends from person to person. It can negatively be a lifelong condition causing some people to lose their potential of working, travelling, performing any social work and associating with any other activates. However, its main symptoms are the fullness, gas, blotting and abdominal pain etc. that will go for 3 days or several months. The people suffering from IBS can alternatively switch to diarrhea and irregularities.
People, suffering from diarrhea, face frequent loose, watery stools and one who suffers from constipation will have a hard time passing stool, as well as less bowel movements. They can not release any stool or just a small amount. On the assessment of your doctor for the treatment of IBS, the medical professionals might check on the basis of the symptoms you describe to him or the pathological test or no test. Specifically there is no any particular test for checking the IBS and ultimately if doctor ask you for blood test, it is nothing but only to make it clear if you have celiac disease or a low blood count (anemia) or stool test to be guaranteed about the infections.
Colitis: It is the Inflammation of the Colon
It can be acute or chronic. Irregularity: It is a condition where a person has a trouble in passing stools as they are hard and dry. Constipation is also characterized by passing stools less than three times a week.
Treatment: In case of a mild costochondritis, non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or aspirin can help. If the condition in chronic or severe, then opioid drugs like hydrocodone or oxycodone, or antidepressant medication like amitriptyline, might be used. It is a good idea to take plentiful of rest and restrain from any stressful activity while recovering from this condition.
My Only Issue Has Been Discovering Recipes that Would Go With My New Routines
A couple of days ago while googleing the topic I discovered a whole new world, deep space of Paleo Diet, an eating plan that basically gets rid of gluten and diary from the picture, just what I was looking for!